Each year, about 20 finalists are selected from among the many scholarship applicants by a panel of accomplished teachers who listen, anonymously to their audiotapes. At the recent auditions these finalists, ages 7-18, played two contrasting pieces from memory before three prominent adjudicators, Dr. Eric Fung, Phyllis Alpert Lehrer, Jennifer Tao who selected the winners. Members, teachers and parents were in the enthusiastic audience.
Over the last twenty years, more than 100 students have received Steinway Society scholarships. Many of the past winners have gone on to win other state and national prizes and study music in college. Each year up to a total of $3,000 is awarded, depending on revenues from Musicale attendance.
The Scholarship Finalists
- Jacqueline Hua, student of Ingrid Clarfield, First Place Tie, Group I
- Alexander Liu, student of Ingrid Clarfield, First Place Tie, Group I
- Gabrielle Hsu, student of Veda Zuponcic, Second Place, Group I
- Elbert Gong, student of Michael Jacobson, First Place, Group II
- Minami Aoki, student of Chiu-Ling Lin, Second Place tie Group II
- David Hua, student of Ingrid Clarfield, Second Place tie, Group II
- Constance Kaita, student of Chiu-Ling Lin, First Place, Group III
- Marisa Edwards, student of Chiu-Tze Lin, Second Place tie, Group III
- David Lo, student of Ryugin Mikuriya, Second Place tie, Group III
- Doris Lee, student of Yelena Ivanov, First Place, Group IV
- Melissa Chan, student of Veda Zuponcic, Second Place tie, Group IV
- Ari Terjanian, student of Lillian Livingston, Second Place tie, Group IV